Michael S. Karpoff is a partner in the Princeton, N.J. office of Hill Wallack LLP and is a member of the firm’s Community Association Group and the firm’s Professional Licensing and Regulation practice group.
Mr. Karpoff is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a civil trial attorney and oversees the Community Association Group’s litigation. He has served as lead counsel for numerous plaintiffs in construction defect cases during the past 30 years.
In addition to community association law and litigation, Mr. Karpoff concentrates his practice in administrative law including professional and occupational licensing and regulation, construction code and zoning matters. Previously, as a New Jersey Deputy Attorney General, he represented professional and occupational licensing boards and other state agencies before entering private practice in 1984. His practice now includes representing professional and occupational licensees before New Jersey regulatory boards. He also served as the attorney for the Highland Park Zoning Board from 1987 until 1996.
Mr. Karpoff is admitted to practice law in New Jersey (1980), Pennsylvania (1992) and New York (1989) and before the United States Supreme Court (1987), the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals (1988) and the U.S. District Court for New Jersey (1980). He earned his J.D. from Rutgers Law School, Newark. He received his A.B. degree from Rutgers College and an M.S. degree from Boston University’s School of Public Communication.Representative Matters
- Mr. Karpoff successfully represented numerous community associations in transition and construction defect litigation as well as other types of litigation.
- He was a defense attorney in Committee for a Better Twin Rivers v. Twin Rivers Homeowners Association, in which the N.J. Supreme Court held that common interest communities may reasonably restrict speech on private property without violating the state constitution.
- He counsels associations on a wide variety of issues, such as rules enforcement, document interpretation, alternative dispute resolution, and local, state and federal rights and obligations.
- Mr. Karpoff represents associations before state and local administrative agencies.
- He successfully represented professional licensees before New Jersey regulatory boards for over 25 years, including physicians, veterinarians, nurses and others.
Presentations & Publications
- Selected for inclusion in New Jersey Super Lawyers lists for 2005, 2010 - 2022. (The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.)
- Fellow, National College of Community Association Lawyers
- Former Director, Community Associations Institute – New Jersey Chapter
- Past Chairman, Common Interest Ownership Committee, New Jersey State Bar Association
- Served on Community Associations Institute Amicus Curiae Advisory Group
- Author, Running Out of Time: Deadlines for Common Interest Realty Construct Defect Litigation, New Jersey Lawyer (December 2017)
- Author, Community Association Residents Granted Greater Protection of Speech, Community Trends (January 2015)
- Author, Disabled Residents and the Law Against Discrimination: Reasonable Modifications of Facilities and Accommodations of Rules and Policies, 2012 Community Association Law Summit, at 73 (NJICLE 2012)
- Author, The Right to Speak in Community Associations: Constitutional or Contractual? Pennsylvania Bar Association Quarterly (April 2008)
- Author, The ABCs of ADR: Perspectives and Pointers, New Jersey Lawyer 22 (October 2006)
- Co-author, Community Association Collections: Practice, Pointers and Pitfalls (NJICLE 1993)
He has authored numerous articles and papers. Mr. Karpoff is a frequent speaker at seminars and other events.
Michael Karpoff Speaks at the CAI Connecticut Chapter on Condos and Constitutional Law – Flags and Free Speech
June 14, 2021
Speaking Engagement: Hill Wallack LLP Partner Michael S. Karpoff to Speak at the 2019 Community Association Law Summit
November 14, 2019
Hill Wallack LLP Partner Michael S. Karpoff to speak at NJSBA 2017 Annual Meeting and Convention
May 18, 2017
Speaking Engagement: Partner Michael S. Karpoff to Speak at the 37th Annual Community Association Law Seminar
January 29, 2016
Expo: Hill Wallack LLP Exhibiting at 2015 CAI-NJ Annual Conference & Expo
September 26, 2015
Expo: HW Exhibiting at NJ Cooperator's Condo, HOA, Co-op & Apartment Management Expo
May 9, 2015
Expo: Hill Wallack LLP Exhibiting at 2014 CAI-NJ Annual Conference & Expo
November 8, 2014
Seminar: HW Exhibits at CAI-PA/Delval Mini Trade Show and Educational Forum
September 17, 2014
Seminar: HW Partners Speaking at the 2013 Community Association Law Summit
November 6, 2013
Expo: HW Exhibiting at PA/Delval Community Associations Institute Annual Conference & Expo
May 9, 2013
Expo: HW Exhibiting at NJ Cooperator Condo, HOA, Co-op & Apartment Management Expo
May 1, 2013
Seminar: Hill Wallack LLP Partner Michael S. Karpoff To Speak At Community Associations Institute Seminar
November 16, 2012
- Michael Karpoff Speaks at the CAI Connecticut Chapter on Condos and Constitutional Law – Flags and Free Speech
- Nine attorneys throughout Hill Wallack's New Jersey offices have been listed in the 2022 edition of New Jersey Super LawyersMarch 21, 2022
- 11 Hill Wallack Lawyers Named to the 2021 Edition of New Jersey Super LawyersApril 23, 2021
- Client Alert: The Signs of the Times: May They Be Restricted?October 8, 2020
- Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys Selected To The 2020 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsMarch 31, 2020
- News Release: Nine Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys Selected To the 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsMarch 13, 2019
- News Release: Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys Selected To The 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsApril 9, 2018
- Client Alert: Be Careful What You Wish For: Arbitration Is Not MediationNovember 20, 2017
- News Release: Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys Selected To The 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsMarch 14, 2017
- Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys Selected To The 2015 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsMarch 13, 2015
- N.J. Supreme Court Issues Important Decision Expanding Community Association Residents’ Speech RightsDecember 4, 2014
- Hill Wallack LLP Partners Honored At CAI-NJ Annual Awards DinnerMarch 4, 2014
- E-mails Are No Substitute For Board MeetingsJune 12, 2013
- Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys Selected To The 2013 New Jersey Super Lawyers and Rising Stars ListsMarch 15, 2013
- New Jersey Court Emphasizes Need for Precision in Indemnification AgreementsSeptember 10, 2012
- Court Broadly Defines “Housing-Related Disputes” in Requiring Dispute Resolution at CondosJanuary 16, 2012
- Beware the Lead Surcharge!October 7, 2011
- Hill Wallack LLP Partners Featured Speakers at Community Association Law SeminarJune 14, 2010
- Hill Wallack LLP Partner Featured Speaker of CAI Law SeminarJune 18, 2009