The Eminent Domain Practice Group has extensive experience in handling condemnation and relocation assistance matters for public entities and developers, as well as for individuals and entities whose property is being acquired for public and redevelopment projects. Few people understand the extent of the government’s power to condemn private property until they are faced with having their property taken. Hill Wallack LLP understands the special strategies needed for effective representation in condemnation matters.
The Eminent Domain Team represents developers, secured lenders, governmental entities and private property owners in the acquisition of all types of commercial, industrial and residential properties for public projects.
What We Do
Hill Wallack LLP attorneys have served as counsel to major public authorities that exercise condemnation powers. We also represent property owners subject to condemnation action. We are actively involved in shaping public works projects to minimize impacts on our clients. We also provide condemnation advice to individuals and businesses in the context of:
- Loan transactions
- Land development
- Land use planning and approvals
- Environmental remediation and related matters
Hill Wallack LLP takes pride in helping our clients achieve the constitutionally guaranteed standard of “just compensation” for property taken by the governmental power of eminent domain. In addition, the firm represents clients in similar land valuation matters such as appeals of government real estate tax assessments.
- Hill Wallack LLP counseled a designated redeveloper through all aspects of valuation, defending opposition and development associated with a major project in northern New Jersey. The firm interfaced with the municipality to keep acquisitions in line with pre-development expectations.
- The firm currently serves as Condemnation Counsel to the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office, representing the Department of Environmental Protection to acquire easements on approximately 40 oceanfront properties in Ocean and Atlantic Counties for storm hazard mitigation projects and riverfront properties in Salem County for a hurricane and storm damage reduction project.
- The firm has handled major acquisitions for several major transportation projects, including the acquisition of the Frank R. Lautenberg Rail Station at Secaucus Junction and the State’s first completed Transit Village by the New Jersey Transit Corporation.
- Representing property owners in right of way takings, Hill Wallack LLP has guided businesses and individuals through all steps of the Eminent Domain process from negotiations to planning valuation theories and trial, getting the fair market value our clients deserve.
- In Pennsylvania, Hill Wallack LLP has represented the interests of various municipalities and authorities in the condemnation and acquisition of real estate from negotiating with property owners to representation before the County Board of View panels.
- Convention: Hill Wallack LLP Partners Presenting at the 2015 Atlantic Builders ConventionMarch 25, 2015
- Seminar: Does The Pipeline Affect You?October 28, 2014
- Seminar: Ryan P. Kennedy to Speak at NBI SeminarDecember 9, 2013
- Expo: HW Master Sponsor at the Atlantic Builders ConferenceApril 10, 2013