Hill Wallack LLP attorneys develop and deliver cross-disciplinary solutions for complex redevelopment projects. We provide our clients hands on experience concerning the many issues that arise in the redevelopment context. We deliver responsive, efficient advice whether our client seeks to advance or challenge redevelopment plans or to protect property from condemnation or other adverse impacts.
We represent property owners, municipalities, builders, redevelopers and objectors in land development and redevelopment projects and litigation.
What We Do
Our experience extends to redevelopment procedures, condemnations, real estate financing, site acquisitions, construction issues, environmental remediation and litigation, approvals and permits, tax abatement agreements and related areas.
- We drafted New Jersey's Master Plan for the Atlantic City Tourism District that will guide the State's actions in Atlantic City for the foreseeable future.
- We served as lead negotiator for the New Jersey Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA) concerning The Walk in Atlantic City, a retail and entertainment project featuring more than 100 merchant locations. We also served as lead negotiator for the Heldrich Center in New Brunswick for the CRDA and for the Secaucus Junction and Morristown Transit Village projects for NJ Transit. On each project, our attorneys negotiated transactions, documented deals, and advised on environmental issues, site acquisition, project funding and finance and other issues.
- We created and secured approval of an economically feasible redevelopment plan for a client that acquired a former manufacturing facility with onsite contaminants. We developed innovative environmental remediation approaches and funding/allocation agreements with the responsible party, the municipality and the State to allow the project to proceed notwithstanding a difficulty economic climate. We also harnessed the support of municipal officials and leaders, as well as neighboring residents, to secure speedy approvals with no opposition.
- We represented the New Jersey Builders Association and Gallenthin Realty Development v. Paulsboro, a major New Jersey Supreme Court case that reshaped the legal landscape concerning redevelopment designations. The decision was critical because unless the property involved is in a blighted area – an area in need of redevelopment, a municipality cannot condemn the property.
- We have worked closely with private sector clients in formulating or challenging “area in need of redevelopment” designations, redevelopment plans and redevelopment agreements – all with an eye toward meeting the new exacting standards imposed by the Gallenthin case in its progeny.
- We have been involved in redevelopment projects and cases throughout New Jersey since Gallenthin was decided.
We provide our clients a direct experience concerning all the various issues that arise in the redevelopment context while delivering responsive efficient results regardless of whether the client is seeking to protect his property from condemnation or to move forward as an approved redeveloper.
- Convention: Hill Wallack LLP Partners Presenting at the 2015 Atlantic Builders ConventionMarch 25, 2015
- Seminar: HW Partner Stephen M. Eisdorfer to Speak at NJICLE SeminarNovember 12, 2013