Jeffrey L. Shanaberger is a partner in the Princeton, N.J. office of Hill Wallack LLP. He is a member of the Litigation Division, Trial & Insurance Defense and Insurance Coverage practice groups.
An experienced trial attorney, Mr. Shanaberger focuses his practice in the defense of counties, municipalities, school districts, public utilities authorities, fire districts and their employees in state court, federal courts and administrative agencies such as the Division of Civil Rights and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Mr. Shanaberger is admitted to practice in both New Jersey (1983) and New York (1983), and before the U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey (1983). He earned his law degree, cum laude, from New York Law School and graduated with honors from Rutgers College.Representative Matters
The range of Mr. Shanaberger’s representation is highlighted below.
- He has tried more than 20 civil cases to conclusion, and has briefed and argued dozens of appeals including multiple appearances before the New Jersey Supreme Court in Title 59 cases. He has appeared in ten appeals that have resulted in published opinions.
- Mr. Shanaberger has defended public housing authorities in numerous engagements by private general liability insurance carriers and by the Housing Authority Risk Retention Group (“HARRG”), a member company of the Housing Authority Insurance Group (“HAIG”) since its formation in 1986.
- In addition to Title 59 bodily injury and property damage matters, the scope of Mr. Shanaberger’s representation has included CEPA, LAD, employment, discrimination and civil rights claims.
Presentations & Publications
- Member, Mercer County Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute, Civil Rights and Governmental Tort Liability section
- Chairman (2003-2010), Public Entity Law Committee, New Jersey Defense Association
- Civil Arbitration Program, appointed by the Superior Court of New Jersey as civil arbitrator
Mr. Shanaberger has also been a speaker at in-service educational seminars in several New Jersey school districts and a featured speaker before the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association on matters of liability in school athletic programs.
Speaking Engagement: Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys to speak at the Annual SAIF, Regional Safety Committee Meeting
December 8, 2016
- Speaking Engagement: Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys to speak at the Annual SAIF, Regional Safety Committee Meeting
- Client Alert: Appellate Court Upholds Right of School District to Seek and Receive Juvenile Offense InformationAugust 3, 2020
- School Brings Students Into Bullying LawsuitMarch 27, 2014
- N.J. Schools Sued Over Bullying Can Sue Pupils Responsible, Judge SaysMarch 25, 2014
- Schools Sued For Bullying Can In Turn Sue Those ResponsibleMarch 25, 2014
- Attorney General Provides Guidance to Schools for Complying with Anti-Bullying LawOctober 18, 2011
- Bill Seeks To Provide Private Remedy for Bad Faith in Insurance Claim SettlementsSeptember 16, 2011
- E.R. v. Lopatcong Township Middle School, 2015 WL 4619665, D.N.J., July 31, 2015
- Tonelli v. Bd. of Ed. of Tp. of Wycoff, 185 N.J. 438 (2005)
- Tonelli v. Bd. of Ed. of Tp. of Wycoff, 373 N.J. Super. 421 (App. Div. 2004)
- Bligen v. Jersey City Hous. Auth., 131 N.J. 124 (1993)
- Bligen v. Jersey City Hous. Auth., 249 N.J. Super. 440 (App. Div. 1991)
- Hills Development Co. v. Bernards Tp. in Somerset County, 103 N.J. 1 (1986)
- Rosario ex rel. v. Haywood, 351 N.J. Super. 521 (App. Div. 2002)
- Nohe v. Roblyn Development Corp., 296 N.J.Super. 172 (App. Div. 1997)
- Heldor Industries, Inc. v. Atlantic Mut. Ins. Co., 229 N.J.Super. 390 (App. Div. 1998)
- Flama Construction Corp. v. Franklin Tp., 201 N.J. Super. 498 (App. Div. 1985)
- E.K.v. Massaro, 2013 WL 5539357, D.N.J., October 7, 2013
- Valentin v. Pemberton Tp. Bd. of Ed., 2013 WL 656340, N.J. Super. A.D., February 25, 2013
- Graham v. Vanden Huevel, 2011 WL 1256607, D.N.J., March 28, 2011
- Marshall v. Raritan Valley Disposal II , 2012 WL 787371, N.J.Super., A.D., March 13, 2012
- Marshall v. Raritan Valley Disposal I , 398 N.J.Super. 168 (App. Div. 2008)
- Valenti v. Abate, 2009 WL 5218063, D.N.J., December 31, 2009
- Lebitz ex rel. Lebitz v. Bd. of Ed. of Town of Phillipsburg, 2006 WL 1223350, N.J. Super., A.D., May 9, 2006
- Gazillo v. So. Hunterdon Bd. of Ed., 2005 WL 3695758, N.J. Super. A.D., January 26, 2006
- Gerald v. Hopewell Valley Reg. Sch. Dist., 2008 WL 4117856, D.N.J., August 29, 2008
- Hemberger v. Mansfield Tp. Bd. of Ed., 2007 WL 3243924, D.N.J., November 2, 2007