At Hill Wallack LLP, we understand that the ability to develop solutions to tough environmental issues often is the key factor that determines whether a project will be built—or languish in the blueprint stage. To this end, our Environmental Team has a breadth of experience in the business contexts in which environmental issues arise, such as commercial and residential development and redevelopment.
Our Environmental Team represents residential and commercial developers, municipalities, property owners and public and private companies in a wide range of environmental matters.
What We Do
We are experienced at navigating the permitting and approval process and overcoming legal, political and business obstacles. Our attorneys have practiced before state and federal agencies such as the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and the United States Environmental Protection Agency in the following areas:
- Wetlands Permitting
- CAFRA Permitting
- Highlands Permitting
- Pinelands Permitting
- Green and Sustainable Building
- Site Remediation
- ISRA Compliance
- LSRP Program
- Threatened and Endangered Species
- Brownfield Redevelopment
- Waterfront Development
- Riparian Issues
- Stream Encroachment Permitting
- Wastewater Management Planning and Permitting
- Water Supply Issues
Clients count on Hill Wallack LLP to tackle environmental issues that arise in high-stakes projects.
- We have represented NJ Transit in the acquisition, management and cost recovery efforts at numerous contaminated sites throughout its system. Our team works closely with NJ Transit executives, engineers and outside consultants to plan the strategic assumption of remediation activities so that projects can move forward.
- The firm represents the private owner of a former manufacturing facility surrounded by residential uses. We are leading our client’s efforts to assume responsibility to perform residential-standard soils clean-up from the remediating responsible party.
- We represented the Borough of Fanwood (Union County) in its efforts to redevelop the downtown area, resolving several environmental problems found on the properties at issue, and helping to identify and secure public funding for the remediation of these sites.
- We represent Alcatel-Lucent before NJDEP and local agencies and pursued sewer rights for 500 acres of former Bell Labs properties in Holmdel, NJ to advance redevelopment of the parcels.
- Hill Wallack LLP attorneys have been deeply involved in solving problems that have arisen from the adoption of the Highlands Act and its implementation through the Highlands Master Plan, which has imposed extraordinary restrictions on the use and development of property in an 800,000 acre area of New Jersey and created novel and acute problems for builders, property owners, and municipal officials. Where appropriate, Hill Wallack LLP attorneys have challenged provisions of the Highlands Master Plan. We have represented parties seeking exemptions from Highlands regulations and waivers of those regulations, and counsel clients on all aspects of compliance with the Highlands regulations and applications for exemptions and waivers.
- Seminar: HW Attorney Ryan P. Kennedy to Speak at NJICLE SeminarJune 26, 2015
- Convention: Hill Wallack LLP Partners Presenting at the 2015 Atlantic Builders ConventionMarch 25, 2015
- Convention: Hill Wallack LLP Partners Presenting at the 2014 Atlantic Builders ConventionMarch 26, 2014
- Seminar: HW Partner Stephen M. Eisdorfer to Speak at NJICLE SeminarNovember 12, 2013
- Expo: HW Master Sponsor at the Atlantic Builders ConferenceApril 10, 2013