Employment & Labor Law
Employers today are faced with a wide range of complex employment and labor issues. The Employment & Labor Law Practice Group at Hill Wallack LLP assists management and human resource personnel in preventing and, where necessary, defending against employee claims. They also assist those employees who are injured by companies who fail to follow the law by engaging in acts of discrimination, sexual harassment, whistleblower retaliation and breach of contract.
Preventive action is a major emphasis of the Employment & Labor Law Practice Group. The Group assists companies in compliance efforts by developing anti-discrimination, anti-retaliation and sexual harassment policies, drug and alcohol assistance programs and other counseling benefits to their employees. The Group counsels companies on hiring and discharge practices to ensure their compliance with both state and federal laws. When companies are faced with complaints of violations of state and federal laws, the Group assists their corporate clients in compelling proper investigations and taking the proper action which will be a deterrent to other violations. Hill Wallack LLP attorneys instruct clients as to the proper action to be taken after complaints to prevent subsequent legal action. Members of the Group also provide in-house/on-site seminars for management, stressing practical advice to supervisors and assistance to human resource professionals in order to create and sustain proactive employment policies and mitigate the risk of employment or labor related legal issues.
The Group also counsels employers on the myriad of issues that arise in the area of traditional labor law, such as union organizing campaigns, collective bargaining, labor arbitrations, strike and picket line issues, as well as proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board.
Since Hill Wallack LLP's Employment & Labor Law practice group represents both employers and employees, they have a complete understanding of the issues on both sides in this area of law. In situations where an employer has truly failed to follow the legal dictates, the firm's attorneys, with over 25 years of experience, have litigated cases with million dollar results on behalf of plaintiffs.
The Group has extensive experience in defending and prosecuting cases in federal and state court involving all areas of employment and labor law including:
- Federal law matters (ADA, ADEA, FMLA. FLSA, Title VII (racial, gender, ethnic, religious discrimination, etc.), ERISA, NLRA, LMRA);
- New Jersey State law matters( Law Against Discrimination, CEPA, NJ Family Civil Rights Act, NJ Wage and Hour Law);
- Pennsylvania State law matters (PHRA, Wage Payment and Collection Law, Whistleblower Statute);
- Common Law and other statutory claims (defamation, trade secret violations, restrictive covenants/covenants not to compete, employment contracts); and
- Internal investigations (harassment, employee theft/dishonesty, fraud, computer/internet abuse, etc.)
The Group is also experienced in representing both employers and employees in matters arising under the employment and labor laws in the State of New York. Hill Wallack LLP attorneys provide assertive but cost-effective litigation from the administrative agency proceedings through trial and Appeal.
Through constant attention to developments in the law and careful analysis of employment and labor practices, Hill Wallack LLP's Employment & Labor Law Practice Group provides quality representation in this complicated and complex field of law.
- Seminar: Hill Wallack LLP partner David J. Truelove presenting at Lower Bucks County Marathon CLE DayNovember 2, 2017
- Speaking Engagement: Hill Wallack LLP partner David J. Truelove delivers speech at Naturalization CeremonyOctober 2, 2017
- Seminar: Hill Wallack LLP attorney Katrina M. Homel to speak at Legal Roundtable Manager Education SeminarSeptember 25, 2017
- Seminar: Hill Wallack LLP Attorney Rocky L. Peterson to speak at NJSBA seminarJanuary 17, 2017
- Seminar: Hill Wallack Partner David J. Truelove to present at the New Jersey Business & Industry Associations' Hands-On Handbook ClinicNovember 18, 2016
- Seminar: HW Attorney Susan L. Swatski to speak at New Jersey Recreation & Park Association's Fall WorkshopOctober 20, 2016
- Speaking Engagement: Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys to present at the HR Summit of Bucks CountyOctober 15, 2015
- Speaking Engagement: Susan L. Swatski to speak at CAI-NJ Business Partner Best Practices Roundtable DiscussionJune 19, 2014
- Seminar: Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys Presenting Employment Seminar to the Lower Bucks County Chamber of Commerce 2013-14 Adult Leadership ClassMarch 18, 2014
- Speaking Engagement: Susan L. Swatski interviewed on WDVR RadioMay 30, 2013
- Seminar: HW Sponsors Lower Bucks County Chamber of Commerce Employment SeminarMarch 13, 2013
- Client Alert: SPRING CLEANING: IT'S TIME TO DUST OFF AND UPDATE YOUR EMPLOYEE HANDBOOKMay 16, 2017
- News Release: Hill Wallack LLP Partner, David J. Truelove Elected to President of Bucks County Bar AssociationJanuary 1, 2017
- Client Alert: Mark Your Calendars: New "White Collar" Employee Overtime Rule Goes Into Effect December 1stJune 1, 2016
- Client Alert: Union Multi-Employer Pension Plan Withdrawal Liability/An Employer Mine FieldMarch 4, 2016
- Client Alert: U.S.D.C. Dismisses Medicare Secondary Payer Act Qui Tam Complaint Against Insurance CompaniesFebruary 12, 2016
- Client Alert: Recent Amendments to New York Law Provides More Protections to Women in the WorkplaceFebruary 4, 2016
- News Release: Hill Wallack LLP Attorneys Take On Leadership Roles within Bucks County Bar AssociationJanuary 1, 2016
- Article: Hill Wallack LLP Attorney Susan L. Swatski article featured in Community Trends MagazineDecember 1, 2015
- Client Alert: Joint Employment (Browning-Ferris)October 26, 2015
- Client Alert: THANK YOU FOR (NOT) SMOKING: Whether New Jersey Employers Will Be Required To Accommodate Medical Marijuana Users In The WorkplaceSeptember 10, 2015
- News Release: Hill Wallack LLP Welcomes Two New Attorneys and Announces the Expansion of Its Morristown OfficeSeptember 4, 2015
- NLRB Decision Opens Door to Unionization of Private University and College FacultyFebruary 5, 2015
- Schools Sued For Bullying Can In Turn Sue Those ResponsibleMarch 25, 2014
- The Affordable Care Act: Get Ready - The Exchange is ComingSeptember 25, 2013
- Hill Wallack LLP Adds Four New Attorneys To The FirmSeptember 23, 2013
- Western Districts Upholds Random Drug And Alcohol Testing Policy Under The ADAApril 25, 2013
- Hill Wallack LLP Adds Employment & Labor Attorney to Yardley OfficeApril 2, 2013
- The Third Circuit Clarifies the Test to Determine "Joint Employer" Liability Under the FLSAAugust 21, 2012
- Client Alert: EEOC Issues Enforcement Guidance And Best Practices For Employer Use Of Arrest And Conviction RecordsJune 7, 2012
- Client Alert: Consequences Of Giving An Employee The Hobson's Choice Of Resigning Or Being FiredJune 7, 2012
- New Trade Secrets Act Requires Review of Employment AgreementsJanuary 13, 2012
- Employee Use of Social Media to Criticize the WorkplaceJanuary 9, 2012
- Client Alert: Employees May Be Able To Use Employers' Confidential Records To prove a Workplace Discrimination ClaimJuly 5, 2011