Matthew L. Devine is an associate in the Yardley, Pennsylvania office of Hill Wallack LLP, where he is a member of the Venture Capital & Emerging Markets, Banking & Financial Services, Business & Commercial Services, and Public Finance practice groups.
Mr. Devine concentrates his practice in business and financial transactions for clients in both the public and private sectors. He has experience working with entrepreneurs, investors, financial institutions, and closely-held businesses. He has also designed and co-taught a course at Temple Law School focused on entrepreneurial finance.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Devine served as a law clerk with Robin Hood Ventures, one of the region’s largest angel investment networks. Additionally, he has advised a major regional foundation on the development of its impact investing portfolio and has experience working with mission-driven lenders and other community development financial institutions. One of the earliest staff members of the first Obama for America campaign, Mr. Devine served nearly three years in the Obama administration at the United States Department of Education.
Mr. Devine is admitted to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He received his J.D. from Temple University’s James E. Beasley School of Law and his Masters of Public Affairs and Politics from the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University. At Temple, he served as Executive Editor of the Temple Political & Civil Rights Law Review and was named a Rubin Public Interest Law Honor Society Fellow for providing over one hundred hours of pro bono legal service during his law school career. Mr. Devine obtained his Bachelor of Arts in Education, History, and Political Science from Rhode Island College.
Presentations & Publications
- Member, Bucks County Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Business Law Section
- Former Member, Sustainable Business Network of Philadelphia, Policy Advisory Committe
- Reviewer, Temple University’s Be Your Own Boss Bowl Business Plan Pitch Competition, April 2018
- Author, Aligning Profits With Purpose: An Analysis of the Philadelphia Sustainable Business Tax Credit, Temple Political & Civil Rights Law Review
- Presenter, The Holy Grail of Angel Investing: How to Leverage Local Angels to Grow Your Business, Waterfront Lab - Camden (January 2018)
Event: Hill Wallack LLP Attorney Matthew L. Devine presenting at Waterfront Lab-Camden
January 24, 2018
Seminar: Hill Wallack LLP attorney Matthew L. Devine to moderate seminar at Temple Law School
October 19, 2017
- Event: Hill Wallack LLP Attorney Matthew L. Devine presenting at Waterfront Lab-Camden
- Attorney Matthew Devine's Lawyering for Entrepreneurship Class at Temple Law School Featured in Temple 10-Q Business Law MagazineMarch 30, 2018
- Client Alert: Changes to 529 Education Savings Plans Create Tax Planning OpportunityMarch 9, 2018
- Client Alert: Changes to Partnership Tax Audit Rules Can Cost Partners Money, Rights vs. IRS - LLCs, LPs, and other Partnerships Should Review Their Partnership Agreements ImmediatelyJanuary 10, 2018
- Client Alert: New Tax Law Creates One-Time Loophole for NJ Residents to Save Thousands in Federal Income TaxesDecember 22, 2017